Set a goal!
Most training programs last any where from 4-6 weeks. However every program design depends on one major factor — your goals! If you don’t have specific goals, then you won’t get specific results. That’s like hiring an architect and telling him, “I just want my house to look nice.” Although a program may blend various training techniques to achieve certain goals, generally they all should have a different approach. I’ve seen people who want to put on muscle and train like an endurance athlete. There are those who want to lose a couple hundred pounds and train like they’re trying out for the navy seals. Sure many of these “expert” programs can be found in your handy fitness magazine, but keep in mind you have your own body which may not yield the results of that magazine model who drank no water for 3 days before the photo shoot and had his abs air brushed. (Well maybe)
My adviceSince everyone’s needs and limitations are different, it’s tough to hand out generic training programs. Seeking professional help would be your best bet. As a general rule, your exercise program should include a warm up, resistance training, cool down, and stretching. This includes core training (and I don’t mean crunches), foam rolling to release knots, and multi planar movements or multi directional movements.
• As a rule of thumb, train large muscle groups first. In other words, don’t do bicep curls followed by squats.
• If possible, strength train 3-4 times a week. Cardio can be done 3-5 days a week.
• Depending on the exercise, dumbbells can create the most challenge, followed by the bar, then cable machines. Be mindful to challenge the body parts from the greatest to least challenging choice of equipment.
• Do not encourage bad posture. For example: doing tons of chest exercises if you sit at a desk all day. Most people should do more rear chain exercises (exercises for the muscles behind you) than the obvious mirror muscles.
• As I stated earlier, depending on your goal, your exercise program should generally last 4-6 weeks, then its time for a change.
What do you think? Email me!
All the best and God Bless,